Composite Disc Couplings
Zero-Max’s composite disc couplings are precise, robust solutions for today’s most demanding high-speed servomotor and motion control applications. Available in sizes and configurations for every application, our RoHS-compliant composite couplings provide:
- High torsional stiffness and high dynamic load capacity in spacer couplings, ensuring reliable machine operation
- Precise positioning under high speed reversing loads without fatigue, for reliable 24/7 operation
- A unique design for misalignment capacity and long operational life
- Superior shaft engagement via a clamp style hub design
Innovative Composite Coupling Technology
Our next-generation composite disc couplings allow users to transmit high horsepower in a small envelope. These high speed flexible shaft couplings are ideal for cyclic applications where speed and repeatable accuracy are critical for keeping systems going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Zero-Max composite disc couplings are rugged enough withstand the punishment and stress of servomotor applications. Other brands of couplings may have high torsional stiffness specifications; however, they can be too brittle to withstand the punishment of high speed reversing applications.
The working part of our composite disc couplings is made of high precision composite material. This unique design has high torsional stiffness, yet allows for misalignment in high stress applications. Zero-Max composite disc couplings have excellent chemical and moisture resistance, and can operate without maintenance in hostile environments.
Standard and custom composite disc couplings are available for every application. Do you need higher misalignment and greater torque capacity in your coupling? Need more flexibility and torsional stiffness? Need a composite disc coupling with a very large bore diameter? Or a long spacer coupling?
Custom Composite Disc Couplings
Zero-Max offers standard composite disc couplings in a full range of styles, configurations, and sizes to meet those needs. We can also design and manufacture a custom composite disc coupling to handle your unique application and performance specifications.
Find your local sales representative to order the composite disc coupling you need, or contact Zero-Max to discuss your custom requirements.
Features & Benefits of Zero-Max Composite CouplingsComposite disc couplings are available in single disc, double disc, floating shaft, and custom models
- Zero backlash operation: required for reversing loads and precision applications
- High torsional stiffness: excellent for precision applications
- Maintenance free: no lubrication required
- Compact design: does not require a large space between shaft ends
- Longer life than metal discs: designed and rated for infinite fatigue life; no disc failures due to fretting
- Broad operational temperature range: -70° to 250°F (-57° to 121°C)
- Unitized disc pack: no loose bushings or discs for easy replacement
- Laser cut discs: precision cutting process can be modified for specialized and custom designs that require higher torque, torsional stiffness, or misalignment capabilities
- Disc material exhibits excellent chemical resistance and electrical insulating properties
- Black oxide coatings on steel hubs and black anodizing on aluminum hubs inhibits corrosion in normal industrial atmospheres
- Precision bore in disc bushings allows for a tight fit between shoulder bolt and bushings, keeping the assembly concentric and ensuring smooth high speed operation
- Precision machined hubs provide further concentricity for quiet operation
- RoHS compliant: manufactured from RoHS-compliant materials and contain no banned substances
Very High Misalignment CapabilitiesZero-Max single flex composite disc couplings can accommodate parallel misalignment, providing an effective solution in applications where most competitors would have to quote a double flex coupling. Our double flex composite couplings can accommodate very high misalignment, providing double the misalignment capacity of metal disc couplings.
Applications for Zero-Max Composite CouplingsZero-Max composite disc couplings are ideal for high precision applications including packaging machines, pick and place systems, printing machinery, machine tools and most systems using servomotors. Our composite couplings have been used in:
- Dynamometers with 4,000 in-lbs. of continuous torque and 8,000 in-lbs. of peak torque at 2,500 RPM on a 57” DBSE
- Servo-driven print rolls requiring up to 542,000 in-lbs./degree of torsional stiffness; coupling yields 0.0034” circumferential windup on 21” diameter print roll at 1,150 Nm rated torque
- Servo-driven die-cut and anvil rolls with special adaptors to accommodate a Stober P932 flanged output gearbox; composite coupling rated for 1,012,200 in-lbs./degree torsional stiffness
- Cut-off wheels for cutting lead strips in lead-acid battery manufacturing; requires heavy acceleration/deceleration due to electronic cam action
- Industrial parts washers, where the floating shaft coupling design allows motors to be remotely mounted away from wash/spray conditions; nickel plating and stainless steel hardware provide corrosion resistance
- Dough mixers for commercial baking as replacements for grid-style couplings which could not withstand the stresses of the mixing process
- and countless other demanding applications
Contact Us for High Performance Composite Couplings
Zero-Max is the leader in composite disc coupling technology. Follow the links below for more information on our single flex, double flex, and floating shaft composite couplings, or view our detailed product catalogs for additional information and specifications.
Find your nearest sales representative to order, request a quote, or contact us for the composite disc coupling(s) your application requires.