Wind Turbine Composite Disc Couplings
A wind turbine coupling must be able to withstand extreme winds and adverse, ever-changing climate conditions to maintain high levels of performance and avoid costly turbine downtime.
To that end, Zero-Max has developed an advanced, all-in-one disc coupling solution for wind turbine drivetrains with capacities up to 5MW. Our composite disc wind turbine couplings are designed and engineered to exceed the typical operational life of standard driveline couplings and to perform in both new OEM turbines and existing drivetrain applications.
Patented, Proven Disc Coupling Design
Zero-Max’s flexible composite disc wind turbines feature a unique, patented composite disc design that can withstand harsh environmental conditions. Capable of withstanding up to 200,000 Nm of torque, these overload safety couplings allow a surplus of parallel and axial misalignment while remaining torsionally rigid through all harmonic ranges of the wind turbine’s oscillating load.
Our flexible, dielectric composite disc couplings provide electrical isolation to nullify current leaks from the generator into the gearbox, preventing damage to bearings and teeth. Intelligent design minimizes reaction loads while providing the required torsional stiffness value to suit drivetrain requirements.
The composite materials used in our wind turbine disc couplings are designed and tested to withstand a wide range of environmental conditions, including moisture, chemicals, and extreme temperatures from -57° to 121°C (-71° to 250°F). Center spacers are manufactured from composite, steel, or aluminum.
The couplings themselves are fully tested and refined to handle loads well beyond the needs of the application. They are proven to perform with no maintenance for 20-plus years through testing under conditions simulating a 20-year torque load spectrum of continuous operation.
Used on conjunction with our wind turbine torque limiters, our composite disc couplings provide the highest level of overall protection for modern wind turbine drivetrain requirements.
Contact Zero-Max today for wind turbine couplings for your application.
Features & Benefits of Zero-Max Wind Turbine Disc Couplings
- Suitable for both onshore and offshore turbines
- Robust torque capacity with current designs capable of handling up to 200,000Nm
- High misalignment capability
- Extreme fatigue endurance in a lightweight package
- Designed & engineered to perform in new OEM turbines or existing drivetrain applications
- Can directly interchange with most wind turbines’ original high-speed shaft couplings
- Lightweight design for easy installation on the production floor or in cramped up-tower environments; drops in between existing flanges
- All components meet or exceed C4 high corrosion resistance standards
- Manufactured to ISO 9001:2015 quality standards
- Lower life cycle cost (LCC)
- Repeatable, consistent quality
- Fully tested for handling loads beyond the application
- Ideal for wind turbine use in difficult power grid conditions
- Maintain performance in extreme temperatures: -57° to 121°C (-71° to 250°F)
Superior Motion Control Solutions from Zero-Max
Zero-Max is a trusted and approved designer and manufacturer of driveline products for the global wind turbine industry. We understand the special requirements of this unique, dynamic industry, and offer products that are designed and engineered by up-tower professionals to deliver the performance, quality, and reliability wind turbine applications require.